Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"Secret" Tomato Sauce Recipe

Homemade Pizza

Maybe this is obvious to some of you but I feel like I just made the best discovery! I have made pizza and pasta sauce from scratch using canned tomatoes or sauce many many times but didn't really like it. In my bread baking class, we made pizza and one of the chefs made a sauce so we could eat our creations for lunch. It was incredible so I took several cups home and asked him for the recipe. Here it is. Simple as can be but amazingly good. I don't have proportions, just make them up to taste.

INGREDIENTS:

Canned tomato sauce (any brand, salted or not, just so it's smooth)
Olive Oil
Dried Oregano
Powdered Garlic (not garlic salt, pure powdered garlic)
Red Pepper Flakes (This was the ingredient I had always missed! I couldn't find them in the regular grocery store, had to go to a spice shop. This is similar to the red pepper you see at pizza shops sitting on the tables but without the seeds. The one I got at the spice shop is called Aleppo. It packs a very small heat, adding just a little tang in the sauce).
Secret IngredientAleppo Red Pepper

DIRECTIONS:

Heat olive oil in a saucepan until fragrant and simmering, low-med heat.
Add the garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes.
Heat for about a minute.
Add the tomato sauce and let simmer awhile.

THAT'S IT! SIMPLE! I just can't believe how much I like it compared to Ragu or other sauces.

Enjoy.

1 comment: