Friday, September 24, 2010

Iron Stories

Rowenta

So. My iron stopped steaming when I pushed the burst of steam thing. And it was leaking sometimes and it was really annoying. Mostly it was the no steam that pushed me to buy a new one.

But first, there is more to the story (What you say? How could anything be more exciting than needing a new iron? Slow down there Nellie!)

Upon mentioning this to my friend, and later to the saleswoman at Macy's, both told me that my old iron (note, it is maybe 2 years old at most) probably was clogged because I didn't use distilled water (though I did use filtered water).

On my way home from Macy's with my new iron, I stop at Target and buy 2 gallons of distilled water. I get home and open my new Rowenta (BTW, how geeky is this that I am so excited to finally own a Rowenta! My old iron was a Sunbeam) and start reading the manual.

Not once, not twice, not three times (I got tired of reading), in the manual DO NOT USE DISTILLED WATER, Rowenta irons are made to use with tap water. Over and over again.

But wait, THERE'S MORE!

I find the manual to my Sunbeam, which doesn't ever mention what kind of water but does state that it has an anti-calcium (i.e. hard water) filter built into it. And, it says to occasionally flush the iron with water and a tsp of salt.

Perhaps I could have just cleaned it out?

Oh no. Nobody is taking my Rowenta away now. (BTW, I bought this model based on a consumer report website)

P.S. It was on sale at Macy's (though I notice everyone has it at that price, I think it's a marketing gimmick) AND I got another 10% off, some special thing they had at Macy's.

3 comments:

  1. Nice! I'm glad other people get excited about things like new irons too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I use the water from the Brita pitcher in my iron. I hate when the iron gets clogged. I always thought you were supposed to de-calc it with white vinegar. Have you tried that method?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betty! In my old iron, that's what I used, the Brita filtered water. But I never de-calced it, oops.

    ReplyDelete