Saturday, March 2, 2013

New and Improved Harlequin Apron Pattern

New Version of my Harlequin Apron and Rosie enjoying a nap on a warm March weekend, I may join her soon!
 I was recently contacted by a magazine about some of my patterns, which is exciting, but also led me to upgrade the only pattern I have produced for sale, the Harlequin Apron Pattern.  The magazine wanted a project that used pre-cuts so I had to also adjust the pattern to use pre-cuts, which was not difficult, the original pattern used 5" squares that you cut yourself.

I decided to make some new samples using Bonnie and Camille fabrics.  So far I have just made the one using a Vintage Modern charm pack and 1/2 yard of the coordinating fabric but I have Marmalade waiting in the wings.

Some history about this apron.  I love to scour thrift and antique shops for vintage aprons.  I found this one a few years ago and loved the way it was made with patchwork.  Sadly these are the only photos I took and I no longer have the apron!

My original pattern instructs you to cut your own squares by color for each row, as show in the original vintage version.

LOVE big bows and this rick rack trim, also yummy vintage fabrics!

Look how some of the squares had to be pieced just to make a 5 inch square, 
we are so spoiled today buying oodles of fabric whenever we want.
I did a lot of searching online and couldn't find a pattern for the apron so I made one myself and wrote this pattern.  Here is the first one I made using Shari Berry holiday fabric.
I made the bow long enough to wrap around and tie in front OR

You can also tie in the back.

 This shows you what the apron looks like laid out.


The finished "Vintage Modern" charm pack version.
I line my aprons and the pattern has full instructions for lining.


The new pattern is available in my Etsy shop and on Craftsy.
The original pattern is for sale in my Etsy shop.

Next project:  I'm writing a pattern for this apron.









No comments:

Post a Comment